Double Dragon - Arcade
Play your favorite classic games and more with the GameEx front end. Read more.
|Also on: Amstrad CPC, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, MSX, MSX 2, Nintendo Arcade Systems, Nintendo Game Boy, Nintendo Game Boy Advance, Nintendo NES, Sega Game Gear, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega Nomad, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, SNK Neo-Geo AES, SNK Neo-Geo CD, SNK Neo-Geo MVS, Sony Playstation|
|Double Dragon TV Commercial (Sega Master System Version)|
|Double Dragon is a sideways-scrolling beat-em-up for one or two players, featuring twin brothers and martial arts masters, "Billy & Jimmy Lee". The brothers must defeat the savage street gang known as the 'Black Warriors' to rescue Billy's kidnapped girlfriend, Marian. Standing between the brothers and Marian are four huge, colourful and varied levels; each populated with a wide variety of thugs.|
Many of the game's enemies carry weapons (knives, baseball bats etc.) and should Billy or Jimmy manage to knock the weapons from the enemies' hands, the heroes can pick the weapons up and use them against the enemies.
The Black Warrior gang is made up of six distinct enemy characters- plus Willy, the game's final boss - with each differing in both physical appearance and fighting style. As such, the game-play never feels repetitive. The members of the Black Warriors consist of the following fighters:
* Williams - A generic street punk. Not very strong but he wields a variety of weapons such as baseball bats, dynamite and daggers.
* Roper - He is a little stronger than Williams and likes to pick up and throw large objects such as oil drums, rocks and boxes.
* Linda - Female punk who usually carries a whip. She's not very strong and appears less frequently than the other enemies.
* Bolo - A tall, big-muscled bald guy. He's very strong and likes to pick up and throw the player's character.
* Abobo - The first boss, a head-swap of Bolo with a Mr. T-style mohawk and beard. A green version of Abobo appears in the end of Mission three.
* Jeff - The second boss. A head swap of the player's character who uses similar techniques. A real challenge.
* Willy - The game's final boss, armed, somewhat unfairly, with a machine-gun.
Double Dragon was a huge success due to the many game-play innovations it brought to the genre (see TRIVIA for details), but it demonstrates its final moment of inspired genius at the very end of the game. Should both players still be alive after the final boss has been defeated, they will then have to fight each OTHER. The winner of this fight will be the one who wins Marian's affections.
Game description from www.arcade-history.com