altbeastj2: MAME ROM Information.
Juuohki (c) 1988 Sega.
Goddess Athena has been abducted by the Lord of the Underworld. Her father Zeus has looked for a brave warrior strong enough to save her and chose you, a brave centurion who died with honor & courage on the battlefield. So after bringing you back to life, Zeus has granted you with the power to morph into powerful holy beasts in order to stand a chance against the unspeakable horrors in the Underworld. Can you save goddess Athena and secure your place as a warrior of the gods? Features detailed graphics, nice soundtrack along with some digitized voices, as well as simple yet fun gameplay. Highly recommended for action game fans as well as "Splatterhouse" fans!
- TECHNICAL -
Sega System 16B hardware
Game ID : 317-0065
Main CPU : 68000 (@ 10 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Z80 (@ 5 Mhz)
Sound Chips : YM2151 (@ 4 Mhz), UPD7759 (@ 640 Khz)
Screen orientation : Horizontal
Video resolution : 320 x 224 pixels
Screen refresh : 60.00 Hz
Palette colors : 6144
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 3
- TRIVIA -
The title of this game translates from Japanese as 'Beast King Account'.
This game is known outside Japan as "Altered Beast".
Juuohki was moderately successful, the player's ability to transform into different creatures being a big draw.
Alex and Stella from "Alex Kidd" are declared dead in the first stage of this game ('Alex' and 'Stella' stones).
The small tail swinging griffon that appears often in this game makes a comeback in "Golden Axe".
Pony Canyon / Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (G.S.M. SEGA 1 - D28B0002) on 07/07/1988
- UPDATES -
317-0065 : Uses a standard 16B as 'Technical' section describes it.
317-0077 : Uses an additional I8751 @ 8 Mhz.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* General strategies level by level...
LEVEL 1 : You start off in a graveyard on this level. You will immediately be assaulted by zombies and headless skeletons. Watch out for the tall, granite blocks since they usually release one of these enemies.
BOSS 1 : A pretty easy boss. It takes about 15 hits to put him down. This boss will throw five to seven heads at your location. The best way to counter this threat is to stay in one place and go into the gaps between the heads. When the heads quit falling, hit the boss a couple of times and repeat the above process.
LEVEL 2 : You will be going through the swamps on this level.
1) A big hazard are the frogs. They will latch onto your characters head and drain their energy. Rapidly move the joystick left and right to shake them off.
2) To kill the snakes, you have to hit either their rattle or head. You will be warned of their location by a rattle either sticking out of the ground or the air above.
BOSS 2 : The boss transforms into a giant plant with eyes. He will launch ten eyes, which will slowly drift toward your character. You must destroy all of these eyes to get to the boss himself. In order to score hits, you must hit the central eye. You have to be quick since this boss will put up another wall of eyes to block your attacks. It takes about 20 hits to eradicate this plant.
LEVEL 3 : You are now entering the caves. The biggest danger is all the crevices. Make sure you keep to the ledges and avoid falling or getting knocked off of them.
1) The Insect Warriors are pretty easy to take care of, although they can cause considerable problems if you are on a ledge.
2) To defeat the turtles, you must first get them out of their shell.
3) The demons and birds present the greatest hazard since they will knock you off the ledges.
4) A good tactic for all the enemies is to let them follow you. Then jump over a crevice and they will fall in.
BOSS 3 : This battle is a little harder. You will have to move around quite a bit to avoid taking damage. In order to affect this boss, you must push the cauldron all the way back to the wall until the dragon's head is sticking straight out. This boss launches rings of fire and ice so you must quickly push the cauldron back, get in your hits, and retreat quickly to avoid this attack. After 25 hits, this boss is toast.
LEVEL 4 : You have entered what appears to be a city.
1) You have already dealt with most of these enemies. Just use the tactics you used from the first level to take care of them.
2) The flying demons present a moderate threat. They will dive down on your character when you are stopped. The best way to deal with them is to entice them to attack then hit them when they are rising up again.
BOSS 4 : Another rough boss battle. This time he takes the form of a blue dragon's head. You must hit this boss from underneath to affect him. He moves in a slow circle so time your jumps accordingly. He spits out a solid stream of fireballs. You can duck under most of them. For the ones you can't, just jump toward the boss. In addition to fireballs, he also launches one or two small red dragons to further harass your character. These can be taken out with normal attacks. After 30 hits, you can send this boss packing.
LEVEL 5 : The final level, you will be some ruins. You will encounter some pretty vicious enemies on this level. They each have strengths to their credit.
1) The Goat Warriors are quick. They come in for a quick strike and retreat.
2) The Unicorn Warriors jump around and make difficult targets to get a bead on.
3) The Bull Warriors can level your character in a single blow if you aren't careful.
4) The Spiked Balls will continuously roll into your character until defeated.
All these enemies work in tandem to wear your character down quickly and they tend to appear in mixed groups so you will have to do a lot of hitting and running to survive them.
BOSS 5 : The final boss and appropriately the toughest boss. The boss appears as a large warrior in the shape of a rhino. He has two attacks : The first one is basically going toe-to-toe with your character and beating the stuffing out of him. The second is a charge. The charge will be proceeded by steam coming out of the rhino's nostrils.
1) You will have to constantly move around to avoid this bosses attacks. You can defuse the charge and send this boss backwards by hitting him as he is charging.
2) The boss starts out as a gray color. He will turn red after about 30 hits. He will then turn purple after another 30 hits. 30 more hits and you have accomplished your goal.
Congratulations, you are now a god.
- SERIES -
1. Juuohki (1988)
2. Altered Beast - Guardian of the Realms (2002, Nintendo GameBoy Advance)
3. Juuouki - Project Altered Beast (2005, Sony PlayStation 2)
- STAFF -
Developed by Team Shinobi 1988 summer : Fu., Tak., Tos., Mor., Nak., Kaw., Sat., Makoto Uchida (Uch.), Hkr., Has., Hag.
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Sega Master System (1988)
Sega Mega Drive (1988)
NEC PC-Engine (1988)
NEC PC-Engine CD (1989)
Nintendo Famicom (1990)
Sega Dreamcast (2001, "Sega Smash Pack")
Sony PlayStation 2 (2005)
Sony PlayStation 2 (2006, "Genesis Collection")
Sony PSP (2006, "Genesis Collection")
Sega Game Gear
* Computers :
Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1989)
Commodore C64 (1989)
Amstrad CPC (1989)
Commodore Amiga (1989)
Atari ST (1989)
PC [MS-DOS, 5.25''] (1990)
PC [CD-ROM, Windows] (1998, "Sega Smash Pack")
* Others :
LCD handheld game (19??) released by Tiger Electronics.
- SOURCES -
F.A.Q. by Kevin Butler A.K.A. War Doc
0.36b1 [Andrew Prime]
0.33b3 [Mirko Buffoni]
* Wanted: 317-0065/67 FD1094 CPUs
- altbeast, altbeast5, altbeastj: Music does not stop when the sequence of transformation begins. abelardator2 (ID 04022)
- altbeastj, altbeast5: Missing graphics in the crystal ball. Fujix (ID 03646)
- altbeast5, altbeastj: Background graphic does not appear. abelardator2 (ID 03645)
- Altbeast writes to mirrored sprite RAM at $441000. Source (ID 03213)
- 0.145u2: Stefan Lindberg, Chris Hardy and The Dumping Union added missing FD1094 key to Juuouki (set 5). Now that the FD1094 key has been supplied we see it's actually Altered Beast. Changed description of clone 'Juuouki (set 5, Japan, FD1094 317-0069)' to 'Altered Beast (set 5, FD1094 317-0069)'. Renamed (altbeast5) to (altbeast6) and (altbeastj2) to (altbeast5).
- 0.138u4: Stefan Lindberg and The Dumping Union added clone Juuouki (set 5, Japan, FD1094 317-0069). Changed description of clones 'Altered Beast (set 5, 8751 317-0076)' to 'Altered Beast (set 6, 8751 317-0076)', 'Altered Beast (set 7, 8751 317-0078)' to 'Altered Beast (set 8, 8751 317-0078)' and 'Juuouki (set 6, Japan, 8751 317-0077)' to 'Juuouki (set 7, Japan, 8751 317-0077)'.
- 10th July 2010: Smitdogg - We got Altered Beast (317-0078) for decapping.
- 0.133u1: Renamed (aliensy3) to (aliensyn3), (altbeasj) to (altbeastj), (altbeas5) to (altbeast5), (altbeas4) to (altbeast4), (altbeaj3) to (altbeastj3), (altbeas2) to (altbeast2) and (altbeaj1) to (altbeastj1).
- 28th July 2009: Mr. Do - I got some work done myself: Altered Beast artwork, from the BYOAC/CAG artwork.
- 0.113u3: Nicola Salmoria added proper MC8123 decryption code and MC-8123B 317-0066.key to clones Altered Beast (set 2), (set 3) and (set 4).
- 0.112u2: Brian Troha properly idenitified cpu2 sound ROMs for clone Altered Beast (set 2, MC-8123B 317-0066).
- 0.111u1: Alex Jackson fixed a miscompilation issue with GCC4 that was first noticed in Altered Beast but also affected Moonwalker, Galaxy Force 2 and probably many other games.
- 0.103u4: David Haywood fixed graphics banking in 8751-based Altered Beast sets.
- 0.97u1: Changed clones description to 'Juuouki (set ...)'.
- 0.95: Nicola Salmoria fixed some Altered Beast sets. The sets were a mess. Some of them were using the wrong version of the gfx ROMs (that's why they had to be loaded in a strange way). Should be correct now.
- 0.94u5: Changed description of clones Altered Beast (set 1, 3 and 6) to Jyuohki (set 1, 3 and 6).
- 0.92: Changed description of '(Version 1, MC-8123B 317-0066)' to '(set 2, MC-8123B 317-0066)' and clones '(Version 1?, 8751 317-0078)' to '(set 7, 8751 317-0078)', '(8751 317-0076)' to '(set 5, 8751 317-0076)', '(Version 2, MC-8123B 317-0066)' to '(set 4, MC-8123B 317-0066)', 'Jyuohki (Japan, 8751 317-0077)' to 'Altered Beast (set 6, Japan, 8751 317-0077)', 'Jyuohki (Japan, 8751 317-0077)' to 'Altered Beast (set 1, Japan, FD1094 317-0065)' and 'Jyuohki (Japan, FD1094 317-0068)' to 'Altered Beast (set 3, Japan, FD1094 317-0068)'. Renamed (altbeast) to (altbeas2), (altbeasa) to (altbeast), (altb8751) to (altbeas5), (altbeas2) to (altbeas4), (jyuo8571) to (altbeasj), (jyuohki) to (altbeaj1) and (jyuohki2) to (altbeaj3).
- 0.89u6: MC8193 update [Nicola Salmoria]. The table for 317-0066 (Altered Beast) are almost complete, but there are still some uncertain values for opcodes above 8000 (not actually needed).
- 0.89u3: Decryption of MC-8123B 317-0066 encrypted z80 used by Altered Beast (Version 2) [Nicola Salmoria, Dave Widel]. Aaron Giles updated some game info against Thierry's spreadsheet; altbeast needs an encrypted Z80 for sound now. Changed description to 'Altered Beast (Version 1, MC-8123B 317-0066)' and clone '(Version 2, unprotected)' to '(Version 2, MC-8123B 317-0066)'.
- 0.89u2: Added I8751 (8MHz) MCU to altbeasa, altb8751 and jyuo8751. Changed description of clones 'Altered Beast (8751 317-unknown)' to 'Altered Beast (8751 317-0076)', 'Jyuohki (Japan, FD1094 317-unknown)' to 'Jyuohki (Japan, FD1094 317-0065)' and 'Jyuohki (Japan, 8751 317-unknown)' to 'Jyuohki (Japan, 8751 317-0077)'.
- 0.88u7: Added clone Altered Beast (Version 1?, 8751 317-0078). Changed parent description to 'Altered Beast (Version 1, unprotected)' and clone '(Version 2)' to '(Version 2, unprotected)'. Added new cpu1 roms and FD1094 key to clone Jyuohki (Japan, FD1094 317-0068).
- 0.88u6: Added clone Jyuohki (Japan, FD1094 317-0068). Changed description of clones 'Altered Beast (8571 protected)' to 'Altered Beast (8751 317-unknown)', 'Jyuohki (Japan)' to 'Jyuohki (Japan, FD1094 317-unknown)' and '(Japan, 8571 protected)' to '(Japan, 8751 317-unknown)'. Changed Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 5MHz and palettesize to 6144 colors.
- 11th November 2004: Chris Hardy - Dumped cpu 317-0068, one of the Japanese Altered Beast sets, it seems to work correctly.
- 0.84u5: Fabrice Arzeno added clones Altered Beast (8571 protected) and Jyuohki (Japan, 8571 protected).
- 15th March 2004: Charles MacDonald cleaned up altbeast, riotcity, bayroute and aurail (no junk in error logs, took care of unused inputs/outputs, etc.).
- 15th February 2004: Dave Widel emulated the sound CPU encryption in Altered Beast (set 2), though it breaks all the other games.
- 0.36b15: Added clone Jyuohki (Japan).
- 0.36b1: Andrew Prime added Altered Beast (Version 1). Changed 'Altered Beast' to clone 'Altered Beast (Version 2)'. Renamed (altbeast) to (altbeas2).
- 0.35b2: uPD7759 support in Altered Beast [Howie Cohen].
- 0.34b4: Sound in all of the working System 16 games [Phil Stroffolino]. Added Z80 (4096000 Hz) CPU2 and YM-2151 (4096000 Hz) sound.
- 0.33b3: Mirko Buffoni added Altered Beast (Sega 1988).
* FB Alpha
* System 16
Recommended Games (Warriors):
Rastan / Rastan Saga
Nastar / Rastan Saga 2
Rastan Saga II (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Warrior Blade - Rastan Saga Episode III
Altered Beast (Mega-Tech)
Chelnov - Atomic Runner
Legend of Makai
Makyo Densetsu - The Legenary Axe (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Golden Axe (Mega-Tech)
Golden Axe II (Mega-Tech)
Golden Axe II (Mega Play)
Golden Axe - The Revenge of Death Adder
Golden Axe - The Duel
Trio The Punch
Act Raiser (Nintendo Super System)
Warriors of Fate
Guardians / Denjin Makai II
Oriental Legend Special
Oriental Legend Special Plus
Oriental Legend 2
Romset: 1952 kb / 16 files / 789.9 zip