bballoon: MAME ROM Information.
BnB Arcade (c) 2003 Eolith.
Players control cute cartoon characters in eight different settings on a small island. Environments include a glacier, a walled village with windmill, an underground train tunnel, a forest, a bomb factory, a desert oasis, and a small castle with its own mini-moat. The different environments are represented on the screen as various checkerboard settings for players to use as battlegrounds. Players begin their watery battle on foot, but they progress to using roller-skates, to riding on owls, turtles, octopi, or train cars, and piloting different types of flying saucers.
Power-up items include bigger and wetter water balloons, strength-building candy canes, needles that allow characters to burst an enemy balloon and escape from being trapped inside it, and many, many more. “Boss” characters pop up from time to time to increase the challenge by throwing their own balloons, stealing the players’ balloons, and causing the players to become slower or weaker. As players move through successive rounds, new strategies are required and new obstacles appear such as falling icicles that burst the player’s arsenal of balloons.
One player may compete against computer-controlled bosses or against other computer-controlled characters. Two players may simultaneously play in either cooperative or competitive mode. Each player uses a joystick and two buttons, one to attack and the second to deploy power-ups. The simple yet fun 2-D graphics show a top-down angle on each battlefield and are presented in a horizontal scrolling environment. Operators can select the number of rounds that players are required to stay in each environment and what feats must be accomplished to continue to the next level of play.
- TRIVIA -
The 'BnB' stands for 'Balloon and Balloon'.
BnB Arcade is based on the South Korean online game of the same name developed by Nexon.
BnB Arcade was criticized by Korean gamers. Because the game was too similar to Hudson's Bomberman.
- SOURCES -
0.117u1 [Pierpaolo Prazzoli]
- 0.140u3: Tim Schuerewegen fixed 'BnB Arcade' - Game now playable. David Haywood added idle skip for Eolith Ghost driver. Changed description of 'Balloon & Balloon' to 'BnB Arcade'. Replaced ARM7 CPU with ARM9 (200 MHz). Added 8-way Joystick, service mode and 2x players, buttons and coin slots.
- 0.132: Brian Troha updated Ghost Eolith driver with information out of Eolith driver about QS1000 and added the sample rom, with a note about it NOT being dumped from this PCB but is a common sample rom used by Eolith. Changed unknown region to sfx and added 512k wavetable rom.
- 0.128u5: Angelo Salese fixed RGB565 bugs in Ghost Eolith driver.
- 0.128u4: Video emulation fixes to the Ghost Eolith HW (not yet working) [Angelo Salese]. Changed visible area to 320x256.
- 10th November 2008: Angelo Salese - Yesterday I've started to look at Balloon & Balloon (Eolith), it still doesn't work due of Flash ROM emulation.
- 0.117u1: Pierpaolo Prazzoli added Balloon & Balloon (Eolith 2003).
- 13th November 2005: Guru - I received a very new Eolith PCB called Balloon & Balloon (a Bomberman rip-off), thanks to Apollo69. This is the first arcade PCB I've seen that uses a 256MBit NAND FlashROM. The hardware is ARM-based and also uses the familiar sound hardware used on Eolith games, currently unemulated QDSP sound chips.
Recommended Games (Maze 2):
Wizard of Wor
Warp & Warp
Dynablaster / Bomber Man
Bomber Man World
Romset: 34816 kb / 4 files / 3.45 zip
MAME XML Output:
|    ||<game name="bballoon" sourcefile="ghosteo.c">|
|    ||    ||<description>BnB Arcade</description>|
|    ||    ||<year>2003</year>|
|    ||    ||<manufacturer>Eolith</manufacturer>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="flash.u1" size="33554432" crc="73285634" sha1="4d0210c1bebdf3113a99978ffbcd77d6ee854168" status="baddump" region="user1" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="b2.u20" size="524288" crc="0a12334c" sha1="535b5b34f28435517218100d70147d87809f485a" region="user2" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="b1.u16" size="1048576" crc="c42c1c85" sha1="e1f49d556ffd6bc27142a7784c3bb8e37999857d" region="sfx" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="qs1001a.u17" size="524288" crc="d13c6407" sha1="57b14f97c7d4f9b5d9745d3571a0b7115fbe3176" region="wavetable" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="maincpu" name="ARM9" clock="200000000"/>|
|    ||    ||<display tag="screen" type="raster" rotate="0" width="320" height="256" refresh="60.000000" />|
|    ||    ||<sound channels="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<input players="2" buttons="2" coins="2">|
|    ||    ||    ||<control type="joy" ways="8"/>|
|    ||    ||</input>|
|    ||    ||<driver status="preliminary" emulation="good" color="good" sound="preliminary" graphic="good" savestate="unsupported" palettesize="256"/>|