pang3n: MAME ROM Information.
Pang! 3 (c) 1995 Mitchell.
The second sequel to the superb 1989 original, Pang! 3 retains the same gameplay of its predecessors but adds vastly improved graphics and a choice of three difficulty levels; Beginner, Normal and Panic. On both the 'Normal' and 'Panic' skill levels, players can choose from four different playable characters; each possessing different strengths and weaknesses, such as a double harpoon or quick shots. On the beginner level, players can only use the Mexican character.
Another notable difference is in the game's use of backdrops : instead of the world landmarks of the first 2 games, Pang! 3 features classical works of art in the form of paintings and sculptures.
- TECHNICAL -
Capcom Play System hardware (CP-S)
[CP-S No. 31]
Main CPU : 68000 (@ 10 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Z80 (@ 3.579545 Mhz)
Sound Chips : YM2151 (@ 3.579545 Mhz), OKI6295 (@ 7.576 Khz)
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 3
- TRIVIA -
Released in May 1995.
This game is known in Japan as "Pang! 3 - Kaitou Tachi no Karei na Gogo [CP-S No. 31]" and in US as "Buster Buddies [CP-S No. 31]".
Here is a detailed list of famous paintings appearing in this order :
'La Bohémienne Endormie' by Henri Julien Rousseau, 1897.
'The Scream' by Edvard Munch, 1893.
'Thirty-Six Views of Mt. Fuji' by Katsushika Hokusai, 19th century.
'Still Life - Vase with twelve sunflowers' by Vincent Van Gogh, 1888.
'Les Glaneuses' by Jean Francois Millet, 1857.
'Moulin Rouge - La Goulue' by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 1891.
'Le Dejeuner des Canotiers' by Pierre August Renoir, 1881.
'Portrait of Leopold Zborowski' by Amedeo Modigliani, 1916.
'La Nascita di Venere' by Sandro Filipepi aka 'Botticelli', 1485.
'La Grande Odalisque' by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, 1814.
'Mona Lisa' by Leonardo da Vinci, 1506.
'Actor Otani Oniji II as Yakko Edohei' by Toshusai Sharaku, 1794.
The game forbids the initials 'SEX' on the high score table. If you try, it gets changed to '???'.
Sheila Van Buren holds the official record for this game with 2,256,411 points.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* Stage Select : select Normal mode while putting the joystick Down.
* Expert Mode : select Normal mode with 1P and 2P SHOT buttons simultaneously.
* Win 500 points in Panic Mode : hold down the joystick and 500 points will be added to your score every few seconds.
- SERIES -
1. Pang (1989)
2. Super Pang (1990)
3. Pang! 3 [CP-S No. 31] (1995)
4. Mighty! Pang [CP-S II No. 34] (2000)
- STAFF -
Planners : Da., Futoshi Kuwahara, S. Obata (Manhattan)
Programmers : Cat, Yoshinobu Inada (Ine), T. Misawa
Character designers : Imo, Tom-Pang, S. Kitamura, Ban, Miyo.
Artists : Y.N, Akagi, Joe, A. Hamada
Music composer : Isao Abe (Oyaji)
Sound designers : Toshio Kajino, Hiroaki Kondo
Supervisor : Yoshiki Okamoto (Kihaji Okamoto)
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Sony PlayStation (1997, "Super Pang Collection")
Sony PSP (2006, "Capcom Puzzle World")
- SOURCES -
0.136u3 [Gerald (COY), B. Sparks, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
0.37b4 [Paul Leaman]
0.35RC1 [Nicola Salmoria]
- 0.144u2: CPS-1 update [Team CPS-1]: Kold666 dumped and added PALs (2 of 3) to Pang! 3 and clones. Fixed pang3, pang3j to use proper 128KB EPROM PA3_11.11F instead of the one resized used by pang3b. Identified and documented Pang! 3 (bootleg) as a bootleg, added a note. Changed description of clone 'Pang! 3 (Euro 950511, not encrypted)' to 'Pang! 3 (bootleg)'. Renamed (pang3n) to (pang3b).
- 0.144u1: Corrado Tomaselli, Alberto Grego and The Dumping Union added clone Pang! 3 (Euro 950511).
- 0.139: Changed description of clone 'Pang! 3 (Japan 950511)' to 'Pang! 3: Kaitou Tachi no Karei na Gogo (Japan 950511)'.
- 0.136u3: Gerald (COY), B. Sparks, Smitdogg and The Dumping Union added Pang! 3 (Euro 950601). Changed description of clone 'Pang! 3 (Euro 950511)' to 'Pang! 3 (Euro 950511, not encrypted)'. Renamed (pang3) to (pang3n).
- 8th February 2010: Smitdogg - We got a newer revision of Pang 3. Credits so far: Gerald (COY), B. Sparks, Smitdogg and The Dumping Union.
- 0.126u5: Added A-board PLDs (buf1, ioa1, prg1, rom1 and sou1).
- 0.124u2: Changed 68000 CPU1 clock speed to 12MHz.
- 0.108u2: Robiza fixed marker for the last sprite to draw, this fixed the ending story text (vidhrdw\cps1.c).
- 0.66: Fixed error message at startup in Pang! 3.
- 0.63: Changed description to 'Pang! 3 (Euro 950511)' and clone to 'Pang! 3 (Japan 950511)'.
- 0.37b4: Paul Leaman added Pang! 3 (Euro). Improved YM2413 emulation. Renamed (pang3) to (pang3j).
- 0.35RC1: Nicola Salmoria added 'Pang! 3 (Japan)' (Mitchell 1995).
- 5th June 2000: Paul Leaman added clone romsets of Pang!3 and Warriors of Fate to the CPS-1 driver.
- 23rd April 2000: Wangy2 dumped Pang! 3 (Euro 950511).
LEVELS: 50 - 10 - 99 (tour mode - secret mode - panic mode)
* FB Alpha
Recommended Games (Pang):
Romset: 5507 kb / 16 files / 1.41 zip