plygonet: MAME ROM Information.
Polygonet Commanders (c) 1993 Konami.
- TECHNICAL -
Game ID: GX305
68EC020 @ 16 MHz
Motorola XC56156-40 DSP @ 40 MHz
Z80 + K054539 for sound
Network to connect up to 4 PCBs.
TTL text plane similar to Run and Gun.
Konami K054009(x2) + K054010(x2) (polygon rasterizers)
Konami K053936 "PSAC2" (3d roz plane, used for backgrounds)
24.0 MHz crystal to drive the video hardware
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 3
- TRIVIA -
Released in September 1993.
This is Konami's first 3D game!
King Records released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Konami Amusement Sounds '94 Spring - KICA-7631, 7632) on 23/02/1994.
- SOURCES -
0.74u2 [R. Belmont]
0.69 [R. Belmont]
- 0.141: Andrew Gardner fixed save state & device handler regressions in the Polygonet Commanders driver.
- 0.139u1: The DSP561xx CPU core now generates accurate disassembly for Konami Polygonet hardware (verified against Motorola's reference disassembler) [Andrew Gardner, Stiletto]. Andrew Gardner hooked up new execution engine in DSP56k. AtariAce removed globals from DSP56k CPU core and updates Polygonet driver to use driver_data class.
- 0.137: David Haywood implemented default EEPROMs to Polygonet Commanders driver.
- 0.135u4: Fabio Priuli updated Polygonet Commanders driver to use Konami video devices and input_port_write for eepromdev_read_bit.
- 0.135u1: Andrew Gardner added save state support to Polygonet Commanders driver and the DSP56156 CPU core.
- 0.135: Changes to the DSP56156 CPU core [Andrew Gardner]: Added JF table decode function. Added ABS, IMAC, and TFR2 opcodes. Fixed various flags for TST, INC24, SUB, CMP, and CMPM. Added hack to DO function to accommodate for the CPU core's inaccurate math.
- 0.134u4: Andrew Gardner fixed DSP56156 DO & BSCC opcode bugs.
- 6th October December 2009: Andrew Gardner - Polygonz attack! The other day i figured out one of the things I was doing wrong with the dsp56156 CPU core. Adding a little logic allowed Polygonet Commanders to go "in-game." Arbee and Haze hooked up the ROZ layer, giving us a dandy little sky. Of course there isn't any 3d since that isn't emulated yet, but that's the part of MAME that i like doing. To that end, I captured a bunch of the data that the 68020 was sending across to the dsp56k. Here is the first round of polygonal uploads from the main CPU to the sub CPU.
- 0.134u2: Andrew Gardner hacked in the DSP56156's "Long Interrupts". Added SUB opcode. Polygonet Commanders now goes in-game! R. Belmont and David Haywood hooked up K053936 ROZ layer to Polygonet Commanders driver. Changed visible area to 256x368 and input.
- 0.134u1: Andrew Gardner fixed various issues with the DSP56156 disassembler.
- 0.133u1: Brian Troha added more accurate program rom names for Polygonet Commanders (ver UAA) set.
- 0.128u7: Continued rewrite of the Motorola DSP56k CPU core [Andrew Gardner]: Fixed flag calculation and sign extension for numerous ops. Added rnd, mpysuuu, and dmac ops. Fixed do loop behavior to skip empty loops. Added stack underflow exception handling. Fixed update_handler for the DSP56k and Polygonet.
- 0.128u4: Phil Bennett added the latest "what we know" to the Polygonet Commanders driver.
- 0.128u3: Continued rewrite of the Motorola DSP56k CPU core [Andrew Gardner, PhilB, RBelmont]: Added proper clock speed to plygonet.c and internal divider to dsp56k.c. Fixed up disassembler add/sub, 05xx, and bsr ops. Handle mysterious uuuuF instruction found in plygonet add op. Partially implemented add, sub, mac, mpy, inc, cmpm, macr, asr16, jscc, lea and movec ops. Added dual X memory read and data move with short displacement parallel moves. Changed DSP56156 CPU2 clock speed to 40 MHz. Changed input to a 9x button vertical double 2-way Joystick.
- 0.128u2: Polygonet improvements [R. Belmont]: Turned off network IRQ. Game now boots without "network error". Hooked up palette RAM. Improved text layer emulation (flip bits still missing). Fixed text layer emulation and visible area. FBI logo and color test now display properly. Rewrite of the Motorola DSP56k CPU core [Andrew Gardner]: Partially implemented inc24, asl4, bcc, brkcc and doForever ops. Added code for parallel address register update. Partially implemented tfr op. Polygonet now allows test mode to be run for a few seconds. Most IO is now known, though coin2 is still a mystery. Partially implemented move, asr4 and mpy ops. Changed visible area to 256x384.
- 29th October 2008: R. Belmont - Andrew Gardner has done some fantastic work lately on the Motorola 56xxx DSP core, and now Polygonet Commanders passes the POST without any hacks or tricks. He was a little stuck at that point since the game was dying with a network error and generally not being agreeable to further DSP work. I applied some of my Konami knowledge, and now it's feeling better. Still a long ways to go, but it's certainly looking more promising.
- 0.128u1: Rewrite of the Motorola DSP56k CPU core [Andrew Gardner]: Complete rewrite focusing on legibility and extensibility. 27/121 opcodes (mostly) implemented. Bugfix for reset status of interrupt priority bits. Bugfix for disassembly of register-to-register parallel data move. Added additional branch, move and bitfield ops. Polygonet Commanders now passes its memory test and uploads a new program. Implemented tst, or, jsr, rti, tst2, and 2 new movec ops. Added opbase handler to Plygonet driver.
- 0.127u8: R. Belmont fixed duplicated inputs in Polygonet Commanders.
- 0.127u6: Andrew Gardner added additional Motorola DSP56k reset behavior.
- 0.127u5: Rewrite of the Motorola DSP56k disassembler [Andrew Gardner]: Removed arbitrary opcode groupings in favor of flat decode model. Fixed a number of small issues with unknown opcodes. Added the final ALU parallel move ops. Fixed branch relative offset decoding.
- 0.126u4: Andrew Gardner improved DSP56k CPU interrupt handling. Polygonet Commanders now advances past its first DSP handshake.
- 0.126u3: Plygonet driver updates [Andrew Gardner]: All communication hacks have been removed. Memory maps have been temporarily reverted while new DSP56k cpu core catches up. DSP56156 CPU core updates [Andrew Gardner]: Rewrote core logic, communications and interfaces. Added three parallel memory moves to the disassembler. Initial interrupt logic in place.
- 0.126u2: DSP56156 Disassembler rewrite [Andrew Gardner]: Rearranged decoding behavior. Updated code style to MAME standards. Tested each single-word opcode with custom ROMs.
- 0.118u4: Fixed rom names.
- 0.110u5: Improvements to the Polygonet Commanders driver [Andrew Gardner]: Implemented various dsp56k opcodes. Polygonet Commanders now gets past the memory tests.
- 27th November 2006: Andrew Gardner - As far as the network error (in the network) goes, it should be fairly straightforward to fix up - there remain a hearty hunk of writes that aren't going anywhere, and who knows, maybe I can convince Arbee to take another look at this'shizzle after i touch up a few more unimplemented dsp56k opcodes...
- 0.110u1: Polygonet Commanders update [Andrew Gardner]: Added more accurate host interface to dsp56k core. Removed a bunch of hacks in Plygonet driver.
- 0.106u6: Improvements to Polygonet Commanders [R. Belmont]: Fixed Z80 IRQ/NMIs to go to the right CPU again, modernized memory map and added network status bit, so the initial test passes well enough to make the DSP56k crash on unimplemented opcodes.
- 11th June 2006: R. Belmont - Polygonet Commanders now passes POST again and now hits unimplemented opcodes in the 56156 DSP. Over to you, Andrew.
- 0.106u1: Some improvements to the Polygonet Commanders driver [Andrew Gardner]: Adds change_PC() calls to the dsp56k core. Removed hacky dsp56k initialization, enabling and disabling. Added preliminary implementation of banking hardware tied to the dsp56k in Polygonet Commanders.
- 0.104u6: Andrew Gardner got Polygonet Commanders back to the POST screen.
- 0.104u5: Some small improvements to the Polygonet Commanders driver [Andrew Gardner]. Added DSP56156 (10MHz) CPU2 and K054539 (48000 Hz) sound.
- 0.101u4: Changed region cpu2 to cpu3.
- 0.99u3: Andrew Gardner added DSP56k CPU core and hooked it up to the Polygonet Commanders driver. Added DSP56156 (40MHz) CPU2.
- 0.74u2: Added Polygonet Commanders (ver UAA) (Konami 1993).
- 0.69: R. Belmont added Polygonet Commanders (ver UAA) (Testdriver). Only text layer is emulated, hangs waiting for network and DSP used for 3D graphics isn't emulated. TODO: 56156 DSP core, polygon rasterization (K054009 + K054010), hook up PSAC2 (gfx decode for it is already present and correct), palettes, controls and priorities.
- 2nd January 2003: R. Belmont sent in an extremely preliminary driver for Polygonet Commanders, it does not work at all but sound is emulated and the text layer is displayed.
Romset: 4609 kb / 9 files / 2.13 zip
MAME XML Output:
|    ||<game name="plygonet" sourcefile="plygonet.c">|
|    ||    ||<description>Polygonet Commanders (ver UAA)</description>|
|    ||    ||<year>1993</year>|
|    ||    ||<manufacturer>Konami</manufacturer>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305uaa01.4k" size="524288" crc="8bdb6c95" sha1="e981833842f8fd89b9726901fbe2058444204792" region="maincpu" offset="3"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305uaa02.2k" size="524288" crc="4d7e32b3" sha1="25731526535036972577637d186f02ae467296bd" region="maincpu" offset="2"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305uaa03.2h" size="524288" crc="36e4e3fe" sha1="e8fcad4f196c9b225a0fbe70791493ff07c648a9" region="maincpu" offset="1"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305uaa04.4h" size="524288" crc="d8394e72" sha1="eb6bcf8aedb9ba5843204ab8aacb735cbaafb74d" region="maincpu" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305b05.7b" size="131072" crc="2d3d9654" sha1="784a409df47cee877e507b8bbd3610d161d63753" region="soundcpu" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305b06.18g" size="131072" crc="decd6e42" sha1="4c23dcb1d68132d3381007096e014ee4b6007086" region="gfx1" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305b07.20d" size="262144" crc="e4320bc3" sha1="b0bb2dac40d42f97da94516d4ebe29b1c3d77c37" region="gfx2" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="305b08.2e" size="2097152" crc="874607df" sha1="763b44a80abfbc355bcb9be8bf44373254976019" region="shared" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="plygonet.nv" size="128" crc="627748ac" sha1="ea1b06739fee235b049ff8daffff7d43cb093112" region="eeprom" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="maincpu" name="68EC020" clock="16000000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="dsp" name="DSP56156" clock="40000000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="soundcpu" name="Z80" clock="8000000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="lspeaker" name="Speaker"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="rspeaker" name="Speaker"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="konami1" name="K054539" clock="48000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="konami2" name="K054539" clock="48000"/>|
|    ||    ||<display tag="screen" type="raster" rotate="90" width="368" height="256" refresh="60.000000" />|
|    ||    ||<sound channels="2"/>|
|    ||    ||<input players="1" buttons="4" coins="1" service="yes">|
|    ||    ||    ||<control type="doublejoy" ways="vertical2" ways2="vertical2"/>|
|    ||    ||</input>|
|    ||    ||<driver status="preliminary" emulation="preliminary" color="good" sound="good" graphic="good" savestate="supported" palettesize="32768"/>|