raaspec: MAME ROM Information.
Spectrum I+ (c) 1984 Roy Abel & Associates.
Insert a coin and choose 8 colors in the order you feel. Color choices reveal stress and personality accurately.
- TRIVIA -
The Spectrum I+ was a modified CGE's Vectrex.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
The service mode can be accessed by pressing button 8 during startup.
As soon as all LEDs light up, press 2 and 3 without releasing 8.
Then release 8 and after that 2 and 3.
You can leave the screen where you enter ads by pressing 8 several times.
- SOURCES -
0.142u4 [Mathis Rosenhauer, Bruce Tomlin]
0.142u3 [Mathis Rosenhauer, Christopher Salomon, Bruce Tomlin]
- 0.142u4: Changed Spectrum I+ to parent set and removed Vectrex.
- 0.142u3: Added Vectrex (General Consumer Electronics 1982) and clone Spectrum I+ (Roy Abel & Associates 1984). Note: Spectrum I+ is a modified Vectrex for use in malls or pizza parlors as an entertainment device. It consisted of the "Luscher Color Test" (TEST YOUR STRESS: Color choices reveal stress and personality accurately) in which you have to choose between 8 colors, in the order that they appealed to you and a text tells you how stressed you are. The service mode can be accessed by pressing button 8 during startup. As soon as all LEDs light up, press 2 and 3 without releasing 8. Then release 8 and after that 2 and 3. You can leave the screen where you enter ads by pressing 8 several times. The hardware had a 32K ROM cart and 2K additional battery backed RAM (0x8000 - 0x87ff). PB6 was used to signal inserted coins to the VIA. The unit was controlled by 8 buttons (2x4 buttons of controller 1 and 2). Each button had a LED which were mapped to 0xa000.
- 11th October 1999: Mathis Rosenhauer and Bruce Tomlin (hardware info) added RA+A Spectrum I+ to MESS 0.36b6. Note: After over a year of no updates MESS, has been updated! It's now being developed as an override of the MAME source code, which explains why it went from 0.2b4 to 0.36b6.
- 12th August 1998: Mathis Rosenhauer (driver) and Chris Salomon (technical advice) added Vectrex to MESS 0.2b4.
- 14th September 1996: Bruce Tomlin - Thanks to a lead from rgvc, I just brought home a Spectrum I "stress tester" Vectrex. And for only $50! The thing weighs a ton, because it has a pay-phone style base. I tried plugging it in and first got Mine Storm, then I got the words Spectrum I+, and the thing crashed. After that it would start up with garbage. I *hope* this is bad contacts, and not bit rot. This thing is riveted together, and I'll have to drill out the rivets or something like that to get it open to pull the EPROM and dump it. FYI, the vertical post part is where the quarters collect. The barrel lock was missing, and when I untaped the coin bin, I found six quarters in there. Update: Of course you guys know me well enough by now to know that I would immediately try to open and dump the thing. Well I did. I still have to get out of here, but here's what I can tell you right now: First of all, IT WORKS. Sure enough, it was just a bad connection. Other than that, the horizontal deflection shrinks momentarily every now and then (http://vgdb.vectrex.com/vgdb/stresstester.html).
30 Test (Remake)
Recommended Games (Asteroids):
Dai San Wakusei Meteor
Spectrum I+ (Vectrex - Mine Storm)
Romset: 40 kb / 2 files / 17.1 zip
MAME XML Output:
|    ||<game name="raaspec" sourcefile="vectrex.c">|
|    ||    ||<description>Spectrum I+</description>|
|    ||    ||<year>1984</year>|
|    ||    ||<manufacturer>Roy Abel & Associates</manufacturer>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="spectrum.bin" size="32768" crc="20af7f3f" sha1="7ce85db8dd32687ad7629631ae113820371faf7c" region="maincpu" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="system.img" size="8192" crc="ba13fb57" sha1="65d07426b520ddd3115d40f255511e0fd2e20ae7" region="maincpu" offset="e000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="maincpu" name="M6809" clock="1500000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="mono" name="Speaker"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="dac" name="DAC"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="ay8912" name="AY-3-8912A" clock="1500000"/>|
|    ||    ||<display tag="screen" type="vector" rotate="270" refresh="60.000000" />|
|    ||    ||<sound channels="1"/>|
|    ||    ||<input players="1" buttons="8" coins="1">|
|    ||    ||</input>|
|    ||    ||<driver status="preliminary" emulation="preliminary" color="good" sound="good" graphic="good" savestate="unsupported" palettesize="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<softwarelist name="vectrex" status="original" />|