spceking: MAME ROM Information.
Space King (c) 1978 Leijac.
- TECHNICAL -
Main CPU : 8080 (@ 1.9968 Mhz)
Sound Chips : SN76477 (@ 1.9968 Mhz)
Screen orientation : Vertical
Video resolution : 224 x 240 pixels
Screen refresh : 60.00 Hz
Palette colors : 2
Players : 2
Control : 2-way joystick
Buttons : 1
- TRIVIA -
Original products :
Space Invaders (Taito Corp.)
T.T Space Invaders (Taito Corp.)
Space Invaders [Trimline model] (Taito America Corp.)
Licensed products :
Space Invaders [Upright model] [No. 739] (Midway)
Space Invaders [Cocktail Table model] [No. 775] (Midway)
Bootlegs/Hacks list :
Space Invaders (Logitec Co., Ltd.)
T.T Space Invaders (Logitec Co., Ltd.)
Space Invaders (Model Racing)
Space Invaders Part Four
Super Invaders (EMAG corp.)
Super Invaders (Zenitone Microsec)
Super Earth Invasion (Competitive Video)
Super Earth Invasion (Electrocoin, Ltd.)
Alien Invasion Part II
Space War Part Three
Invasion (RZ Bologna)
Tilt Invader (NPS)
Darth Vader (unknown)
Clones list :
Beam Invader (Tekunon)
Pacom Invader (Pacom Corp.)
IPM Invader (Irem)
Cosmic Monsters [Upright model] (Universal)
Cosmic Monsters [Cocktail Table model] (Universal)
Cosmic Monsters 2 (Universal)
Space Attack [Upright model] (Video Games, Ltd.)
Space Attack [Cocktail Table model] (Sega)
Space Attack [Upright model] (Sega)
Space Attack [Counter model] (Video Games, Ltd)
Space Attack [Cocktail Table model] (Video Games, Ltd)
Space Attack II (Zenitone Microsec)
Jatre Specter (Jatre)
Space War (Sanritsu)
Space King (Leijac)
Space Intruder (Shoei)
Shuttle Invader (Omori)
- UPDATES -
Only the graphics have more detail and the labels at the top of the screen for player one, player two and the high score are written using Japanese katakana.
- SCORING -
Large Invader : 10 points
Medium Invader : 20 points
Small Invader : 30 points
UFO : 50 to 300 points
- SERIES -
1. Space King (1978)
2. Space King-2 (1979)
- SOURCES -
0.08 [Nicola Salmoria, Michael Strutts]
Artwork available (invaders, invaddlx)
- spcewars: Wrong colors. MASH (ID 04143).
- During game, when player shoots their laser at the invaders, the sound is way above normal. blkwolf01 (ID 03554)
- spcewars: I seem to recall that the flashing ufo had its own sample sound, a sort of rattling noise. Source (ID 02664)
- superinv, invasion: [possible] When set is booted, there is automatically a credit available. Tafoid (ID 02061)
- 0.143u2: Tafoid corrected clone Cosmic Monsters overlay to match that from a reference video of an actual cabinet.
- 0.138u2: Massive Space Invaders related comment update, documenting various sets, and the various Taito PCBs used by Space Invaders/Tabletop SI/Tabletop SI Color/Tabletop SI II/etc. Update/Correct Space Invaders Comments, particularly regarding Midway Boards [Andrew Welburn, Lord Nightmare].
- 0.136u4: Andrew Welburn, Brian Troha and The Dumping Union added clone Alien Invasion. Renamed (alieninv) to (alieninvp2).
- 27th February 2010: Smitdogg - Andrew Welburn dumped a Space Invaders bootleg called Alien Invasion.
- 0.135u3: f205v and ANY added clones Invasion (bootleg, set 1, normal graphics), (bootleg, set 2, no copyright), (bootleg, set 3, R Z SRL BOLOGNA) and (bootleg, set 4, R Z SRL BOLOGNA). Changed description of clone 'Invasion' to 'Invasion (Sidam)'.
- 7th December 2009: Mr. Do - Space Invaders artwork was updated for no other good reason than I finally had a better way to render the moon and backdrop together. The end-user won't notice any difference whatsoever, other than the file size went from 11MB to 6MB.
- 18th November 2009: f205v dumped Invasion (bootleg 1979). This PCB is manufactured in Italy as a bootleg based on the same hardware design of the classical Sidam PCB.
- 3rd October 2009: Smitdogg - Andrew Welburn dumped the Electrocoin version of Super Earth Invasion. Actually he dumped a bunch of stuff that still needs to be looked at but I checked this one out and it drops right over 'searthin' in MAME.
- 0.133u2: Team Japump fixed rom names in Space Invaders (CV Version), Space Invaders (SV Version) and Space Invaders (SV Version 2). Added new proms ($0, 400) to clone Space Invaders (CV Version). Added new maincpu roms ($800, 1400, 1800,1c00) to clone Space Invaders (SV Version). Added new maincpu rom ($1400) to clone Space Invaders (SV Version 2).
- 0.133u1: Renamed (searthia) to (searthina) and (jspectr2) to (jspecter2).
- 28th July 2009: Mr. Do - Kiltron got busy this summer and recently cranked out Space Invaders (Midway Cocktail version) artwork, also on loan from Gene.
- 0.128u2: More Discrete module optimizations [Derrick Renaud]. This module optimizations speed up Space Invaders 9%.
- 0.126u4: Robiza fixed built in red color overlay goes too low and shows on top line of invaders heads in Vista only.
- 0.123u1: RansAckeR added DIP locations for clones Space Invaders (TV Version), Space Invaders (CV Version) and Invasion. Also fixed coin2 for clones Super Invaders and Invasion.
- 0.117u1: Changed description to 'Space Invaders / Space Invaders M'.
- 0.114u2: Derrick Renaud added full discrete emulation of Space Invaders. I think people are going to be too used to the current samples and their relative levels. The new relative levels are determined by the mixing resistors. There are all different versions of the sound board, that all have slightly different sounds/components. This should be the proper Midway sounds. Removed Samples sound (1. - 9.wav) and added Discrete sound in Space Invaders and some clones.
- 0.113u2: Shuttle Invader display is shifted off screen now, but the PCB notes confirm that it's a different hardware, so it will need its own driver anyhow [Zsolt Vasvari]. Changed 8080 CPU clock speed to 1996800 Hz, visible area to 224x260 and VSync to 59.541985 Hz in clones sicv, sisv, sisv2, spacewr3, spcewars and darthvdr.
- 11th March 2007: Mr. Do - Two additions to Space Invaders. First, we have the cabaret bezel version, based on Polaris; the instructions and colors based on a photo contributed by btribble. The other is the Taito version of the bezel, contributed awhile ago by ClassicArcadeGrafix. I've been holding out on this because I had actually tracked down someone who had a full-size scan of the Taito moon. Things looked up at first, but it's been four months now, and emails haven't been returned for at least the last two months, so I grabbed the version from MAME.net and put that in for now, until the full scan turns up later.
- 0.111u4: Zsolt Vasvari and Derrick Renaud added non-memory mapped coin counters to Space Invaders. Changed 8080 CPU clock speed to 1996800 Hz. Added dipswitches 'Unknown' and 3x 'Unused'.
- 0.111u2: Derrick Renaud added proper watchdog to Space Invaders.
- 0.111u1: Tomasz Slanina added clone Darth Vader (bootleg). Added new samples (11-18.wav) to the Invaders set. Robert added the game toggle switch to Jatre Specter (move right for game B; otherwise it's game A).
- 10th December 2006: Mr. Do - Midway Space Invaders actually looks like Space Invaders now. We got the bezel from VAS, and the moon and backdrop from CAG, all cleaned up by Addy. It's shinier than it's ever been. Where's Taito? He made it back to Kansas, but the wizard is still out looking for Dorothy, so it's taking a little while longer.
- 0.109u1: Robert fixed 'Bonus Life' dipswitch in clone Space War Part 3, Super Invaders (EMAG), Super Invaders (bootleg) and Space Invaders (Model Racing). Changed dipswitch 'High Score Preset Mode' to 'Bonus Life' in Space King. Added Speaker sound to clone Space War Part 3.
- 25th September 2006: Mr. Do - Added medium-res bezel for Space Invaders, recreated by Retro27 (I'd still eventually like to get a scan of it, though). Various photographs we have found so two versions (?), one light blue, one dark. I also added the color overlay for the SI cocktail, based on other various photographs, and added the instruction cards for JPN and USA, thanks to Bottleknife and Antny.
- 0.108u4: Robert fixed sound and improved dipswitches in clone Space War (Sanritsu). Added Speaker sound (sound\speaker.c) and 'Bonus Life' dipswitch.
- 0.105u4: Giuseppe Gorgoglione fixed UI positioning when artwork is enabled (OK screen doesn't fit on the screen, nor does the FPS counter).
- 0.96u2: Dave Widel added clone Cosmic Monsters 2.
- 0.95u4: David Haywood added clone Space Invaders (Model Racing).
- 14th April 2005: f205v and Matteo dumped Space Invaders (Model Racing).
- 25th March 2005: Dave Widel - The main difference in Cosmic Monsters II is the mothership drops a row of replacements periodically. Thanks to Art Mallet (http://artsarcadegames.com/index.htm) for loaning the board from one of his machines. Art is the source for Fluke 9010 parts and accessories as well as one of the major sellers of video game parts.
- 0.88u2: Derrick Renaud added to DISCRETE_555_ASTABLE an option to disable oscillation if R1 (charge) is out of circuit (will be needed by Invaders).
- 0.87u3: MASH added clone Space Invaders Part Four (bootleg 1978).
- 0.85u2: Added 'Service Mode' dipswitch to Space Invaders (TV Version).
- 0.80u1: Pierpaolo Prazzoli added clone Invasion. David Haywood added clone Super Earth Invasion (set 2). Changed description of clone 'Super Earth Invasion' to 'Super Earth Invasion (set 1)'. Renamed (earthinv) to (searthin).
- 0.75: Nathan Woods fixed a screenshot handling bug that affected Space Invaders.
- 0.74u2: Added 'Space Invaders Test ROM' (19??) for region cpu1 ($0).
- 30th September 2003: Mike O'Malley submitted an addition of Space Invaders and Galaxian test ROMs.
- 0.53: MASH added clones 'Space Attack' (Video Games GMBH 1978) and 'Jatre Specter (set 2)'. Changed parent description to 'Jatre Specter (set 1)'. Renamed (spaceatt) to (spaceat2).
- 0.37b3: Major redesign of the artwork support. All the drivers need to do is call overlay_create() or overlay_load() and the rest is handled by the core. Opacity/translucency support in 16-bit mode. Check out Space Invaders for example, the colored strips that make up the overlay is faintly visible under the black areas [Mathis Rosenhauer, Zsolt Vasvari].
- 0.37b2: Added clones Super Invaders (Zenitone-Microsec) and Super Invaders. Changed description of clone 'Super Invaders' to 'Super Invaders (EMAG)'.
- 2nd May 2001: Lee Taylor added another Space Invaders clone.
- 0.37b1: Zsolt Vasvari emulated the red saucer/ufo sound in Space Invaders (SN76477 sound), this sample is no longer needed (the other samples are still required). Added SN76477 sound and removed samples (0., 10-18.wav).
- 22nd March 2000: Zsolt Vasvari added SN76477 support to Space Invaders.
- 0.36RC2: Changed description of clone 'Space Invaders Colour (CV Version)' to 'Space Invaders (CV Version)'. Renamed (si_tv) to (sitv) and (logitec) to (invaderl).
- 0.36b16: Pongkang added clones Space King (Leijac 1978), Space War (Sanritsu) and Space War (Leijac).
- 26th January 2000: Pongkang added clone Space King and two different Space War clone games to the 8080bw driver.
- 0.36b15: Added clone Jatre Specter (Jatre 1979).
- 15th January 2000: Frank Palazzolo added clone Jatre Specter to the 8080bw driver.
- 0.36b11: Added clones Space Invaders (Logitec), Space Invaders (SV Version 2) and Space War Part 3 (bootleg).
- 0.35b4: Changed description of clones 'Alien Invaders 2' to 'Alien Invasion Part II' and '(CV Version)' to 'Space Invaders Colour (CV Version)'.
- 0.35b2: Lee Taylor added clones Alien Invaders 2, Space Invaders Colour (CV Version), Space Invaders (SV Version) and Space Invaders (TV Version).
- 0.34b8: David Winter added clone Super Invaders.
- 0.33b7: Cocktail mode support in some games (invaders, etc.) [Martin Sandiford].
- 0.30: Lee Taylor added clone Cosmic Monsters (Universal 1979). Aaron Giles support dirty rectangles in Space Invaders & clones. Samples can also be loaded from a common directory for variations of the same hardware. For example, all Space Invaders clones will load samples from the invaders directory.
- 0.25: Known issues: The colors used in Invaders Revenge may be wrong.
- 0.22: Fixed all Invader's clones bugs and charset of all Invader's clones.
- 0.21: Minor adjustment to Space Invaders color strips.
- 0.20: Dave W. provided a new set of Invaders samples. Should be better, though.
- 0.18: High score saving support in Space Invaders (Invaders only - not clones) [Nicola Salmoria].
- 0.16: Tormod Tjaberg provided updated Space Invaders (+clones) drivers which support sound. They use samples, derived from Michael Strutts' emulator.
- 0.09: Space Invaders now seems to work correctly [Nicola Salmoria]. Deluxe version still doesn't work properly.
- 0.08: Some support for Space Invaders (+ some clones) but it doesn't work well. Added Space Invaders (Midway 1978), Super Earth Invasion and Space Attack II. Control: Arrows = Move around and CTRL = Fire. Space Invaders information gathered from the Space Invaders Emulator by Michael Strutt. Known issues: The color stripes are not placed correctly. Bullets and aliens sometimes stop for an instant Interrupts are not handled well. You should run the game with "-frameskip 1", otherwise it will try to refresh at 120 fps.
- 30th October 1996: Dumped Super Earth Invasion (set 1).
LEVELS: 1 (endless)
Recommended Games (Space Invaders):
Space Invaders Part II
Return of the Invaders
Space Invaders DX
Super Space Invaders '91
Space Invaders '95 - Attack Of The Lunar Loonies
Space Invaders Anniversary
Space Invaders II
Super Invader Attack
Invinco / Deep Scan
Invinco / Head On 2
Rolling Crash / Moon Base
Space Attack / Head On
Space Fever High Splitter
Space Fighter Mark II
Space King 2
Romset: 8 kb / 4 files / 5.16 zip
MAME XML Output:
|    ||<game name="spceking" sourcefile="8080bw.c" cloneof="invaders" romof="invaders">|
|    ||    ||<description>Space King</description>|
|    ||    ||<year>1978</year>|
|    ||    ||<manufacturer>Leijac Corporation</manufacturer>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="invaders.h" merge="invaders.h" size="2048" crc="734f5ad8" sha1="ff6200af4c9110d8181249cbcef1a8a40fa40b7f" region="maincpu" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="spcekng2" size="2048" crc="96dcdd42" sha1="e18d7ffca92e863ef40e235b2be973d8c5879fdb" region="maincpu" offset="800"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="spcekng3" size="2048" crc="95fc96ad" sha1="38175edad0e538a1561cec8f7613f15ae274dd14" region="maincpu" offset="1000"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="spcekng4" size="2048" crc="54170ada" sha1="1e8b3774355ec0d448f04805a917f4c1fe64bceb" region="maincpu" offset="1800"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="maincpu" name="8080" clock="1996800"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="mono" name="Speaker"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="snsnd" name="SN76477"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="discrete" name="DISCRETE"/>|
|    ||    ||<display tag="screen" type="raster" rotate="270" width="260" height="224" refresh="59.541985" pixclock="4992000" htotal="320" hbend="0" hbstart="260" vtotal="262" vbend="0" vbstart="224" />|
|    ||    ||<sound channels="1"/>|
|    ||    ||<input players="2" buttons="1" coins="1" tilt="yes">|
|    ||    ||    ||<control type="joy" ways="2"/>|
|    ||    ||</input>|
|    ||    ||<dipswitch name="Lives" tag="IN2" mask="3">|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="3" value="0" default="yes"/>|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="4" value="1"/>|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="5" value="2"/>|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="6" value="3"/>|
|    ||    ||</dipswitch>|
|    ||    ||<dipswitch name="Bonus Life" tag="IN2" mask="8">|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="1000" value="8"/>|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="1500" value="0" default="yes"/>|
|    ||    ||</dipswitch>|
|    ||    ||<dipswitch name="Coin Info" tag="IN2" mask="128">|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="Off" value="128"/>|
|    ||    ||    ||<dipvalue name="On" value="0" default="yes"/>|
|    ||    ||</dipswitch>|
|    ||    ||<configuration name="Cabinet" tag="CAB" mask="1">|
|    ||    ||    ||<confsetting name="Upright" value="0" default="yes"/>|
|    ||    ||    ||<confsetting name="Cocktail" value="1"/>|
|    ||    ||</configuration>|
|    ||    ||<driver status="good" emulation="good" color="good" sound="good" graphic="good" savestate="supported" palettesize="0"/>|