ssridersuac: MAME ROM Information.
Sunset Riders (c) 1991 Konami.
A superb sideways scrolling shoot-em-up for 1 to 4 players set in America's Wild West. 4 sharpshooter bounty hunters (Steve, Billy, Bob and Cormano) set out to claim the bounties given for killing the most wanted outlaws in the West. The ultimate aim is to survive long enough to reach the final showdown against Sir Richard de la Rose.
Sunset Riders is an incredibly playable game featuring colourful and well-drawn graphics, with a number of humorous visual jokes keeping players entertained. The side-scrolling action takes place both on foot and on horseback, with the action sometimes broken up with a wild west pursuit; such as having to run along the backs of a herd of fleeing Buffalo.
Each level ends with players entering a one-on-one battle against one of the wanted men they have been pursuing. Weapon power-ups can be found and collected to help players in their quest.
- TECHNICAL -
Game ID : GX064
Main CPU : 68000 (@ 16 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Z80 (@ 4 Mhz)
Sound Chips : YM2151 (@ 3.579545 Mhz), K053260 (@ 3.579545 Mhz)
Screen orientation : Horizontal
Video resolution : 288 x 224 pixels
Screen refresh : 60.00 Hz
Palette colors : 2048
Players : 4
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2 (ATTACK, JUMP)
- TRIVIA -
Released in September 1991.
In the 90s, the official Italian importer for Konami was Elettronica Videogames. Managers of the Japanese company usually visited the foreign partner, bringing a lot of new games and prototypes with them. In one of this circumstances, they brought with them the European prototype of Sunset Riders. In this version, the Mexican character was named 'Hermano' (brother). During a funny moment, trying to say something humorous, the chief technician of the Italian firm proposed: "Why not calling him Cormano?". Cormano, in fact, is the little town near Milan where the importing company was located.
King Records released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Konami Game Music Collection Vol.5 - KICA-7605) on 26/09/1992.
- UPDATES -
The US versions are slightly different, they have the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
When you're facing off against the first boss, Simon Greedwell, there's a way to fire at him without being hit by his own gunfire. First, all enemies popping out of the house windows need to be cleared away, and the barrel on the left side needs to knocked down, exposing one side of the boss (but make sure you aren't hit and killed by the falling barrel). Then, position your player underneath that side so that he's firing upwards with the left hand at the left side of the boss (this is easier to do if you're holding two guns). If you do this correctly, you'll be able to gun down the boss while his own ammo passes by you harmlessly without touching you.
On the 2nd stage, as you're heading towards the train station where the second boss is waiting, there's an enemy-manned wagon that appears where the occupants throw out at least two logs that you need to jump over, lest you be killed by them. If you can anticipate the appearance of this wagon, you can shoot at the wheel almost instantly upon its arrival to destroy the wagon before they even throw out a single log at you.
On the 4th stage where you face off against the Smith Brothers in the saloon, they throw heavy explosives in your direction, so you need to keep jumping on and off the chandelier and in other directions to avoid their weapons. (Freeing the bar girls will render you intangible for a few seconds.) Don't try to jump onto the platforms where the Smith Brothers are standing while they're still alive, as you can be killed instantly when touching them.
On the 5th stage, the boss, El Greco, carries a whip causing instant death, and a shield. To succeed in hitting him, you need to try and jump around to shoot him from behind, as well as shooting him whenever he jumps, and to do your best to avoid being hit by the whip.
On the final stage, when penetrating Richard Rose's fortress, you need to use the Gatling guns provided to blast your way through two large wooden gates. Just jump onto the stands where your player will automatically grab the gun, point the joystick in the right direction and fire. But be careful, as the Gatling gun's ammo can kill other players as well as the enemy themselves
- STAFF -
Director : H. Tsujimoto
Art director : R. Itoh
Animation directors : Waitel, Schenker & Takeshi
Sound advisor : B. Maezawa
Music : Motoaki Furukawa
Sound effects : K. Fukui
Production designers : Naoko Sato, Hiroshi Hanatani
Electronic engineer : K. Furukawa
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Sega Mega Drive (1992)
Nintendo Super Famicom (1993)
- SOURCES -
0.36b3 [Nicola Salmoria]
0.36b2 [Oliver Stabel, Nicola Salmoria]
- Hit F2 while the game is in attract mode. Go into 'GAME OPTIONS' and changed 'SOUND OUTPUT' from MONAURAL TO STEREO.
- Characters judder when walking diagonally (possibly priority related). Hazard / NeoGouki (ID 00952)
- Clone ssriders2: Original PCB running attract mode and a short game through an RGB board and into my PC. Smitdogg (ID 04134)
- 0.140u2: f205v, Smitdogg and The Dumping Union added clone Sunset Riders 2 (bootleg 4 Players ver ADD).
- 17th October 2010: Smitdogg - I got a bootleg of Sunsetriders called Sunsetriders II. From a quick look it looks like an updated version of the ssridersb set in MAME. I don't know what all they changed but it doesn't look like it was very much.
- 0.139u4: Tafoid eliminated non-functioning service mode mapping in clone Sunset Riders (bootleg 4 Players ver ADD), which was a duplicate.
- 0.138u1: hap fixed the old sprites stuck error in Sunset Riders and clones.
- 0.133u1: Renamed (ssrdrebd) to (ssridersebd), (ssrdrebc) to (ssridersebc), (ssrdruda) to (ssridersuda), (ssrdreaa) to (ssriderseaa), (ssrdruac) to (ssridersuac), (ssrdrubc) to (ssridersubc), (ssrdrabd) to (ssridersabd), (ssrdradd) to (ssridersadd), (ssrdrjbd) to (ssridersjbd) and (sunsetbl) to (ssridersb).
- 0.108: Fixed rom names.
- 0.99u3: Johan Samuelsson added clone Sunset Riders (4 Players ver EAA).
- 0.98u2: Changed description to 'Sunset Riders (4 Players ver EAC)' and clones (World 2 Players ver. EBD)' to '(2 Players ver EBD)', (World 2 Players ver. EBC)' to '(2 Players ver EBC)', (US 4 Players ver. UDA)' to '(4 Players ver UDA)', (US 4 Players ver. UAC)' to '(4 Players ver UAC)', (US 2 Players ver. UBC)' to '(2 Players ver UBC)', (Asia 2 Players ver. ABD)' to '(2 Players ver ABD)', (Asia 4 Players ver. ADD)' to '(4 Players ver ADD)', (Japan 2 Players ver. JBD)' to '(2 Players ver JBD)' and (bootleg 4 Players ver. ADD)' to '(bootleg 4 Players ver ADD)'.
- 0.95: Razoola added clone Sunset Riders (Asia 4 Players ver. ADD).
- 27th February 2004: R. Belmont fixed the sound balance in Asterix, Detana Twinbee and Sunset Riders.
- 0.72u2: Acho A. Tang fixed Players don't jitter as much walking on slanted surfaces (needs testing).
- 0.72u1: Acho A. Tang fixed remaining protection problems in Sunset Riders. Clear the garbage sprite that sticking on screen and Billy no longer goes berserk at stage 4's boss.
- 11th August 2003: Acho A. Tang fixed the remaining protection-related problems in Sunset Riders and TMNT 2.
- 0.71u3: R. Belmont added clone Sunset Riders (bootleg 4 Players ver. ADD). The game uses a MSM6295 for sound, but doesn't work.
- 15th July 2003: R. Belmont added a bootleg of Sunset Riders to the TMNT driver, but it's not working perfectly.
- 0.53: Nicola Salmoria added real shadows in some Konami games (88 Games, Chequered Flag, X-Men, Asterix, Surprise Attack, Sunset Riders, etc.). Fixed some protection related issues in Sunset Riders [Nicola Salmoria].
- 23rd July 2001: Guru - PowerJaw and Sean Young sending 2 PCB donations (Sunset Riders and Haunted Castle), to be used to help with the emulation.
- 29th September 2000: Nicola Salmoria improved the Sunset Riders protection workaround.
- 14th September 1999: Nicola fixed the bad sprites at the end of the saloon level in Sunset Riders, but the highlight effect is still missing.
- 0.36b4: Ernesto Corvi improved the protection workaround in Sunset Riders. Changed 68000 CPU1 clock speed to 16MHz and Z80 CPU2 to 4MHz.
- 23rd August 1999: Ernesto Corvi sent in a K053260 update with misc. fixes and he also fixed Sunset Riders sprite-background collisions.
- 0.36b3: Nicola Salmoria added Sunset Riders (World 4 Players ver. EAC) and clones (World 2 Players ver. EBD), (Japan 2 Players ver. JBD), (US 4 Players ver. UAC) and (US 4 Players ver. UDA). Changed 'Sunset Riders (World)' to clone '(World 2 Players ver. EBC)' and clones '(US)' to '(US 2 Players ver. UBC)' and '(Asia)' to '(Asia 2 Players ver. ABD)'. Renamed (ssriders) to (ssrdrebc), (ssrideru) to (ssrdrubc) and (ssridera) to (ssrdrabd).
- 0.36b2: Oliver Stabel and Nicola Salmoria added Sunset Riders (World) (Konami 1991) and clones (US) and (Asia). All partially playable due to protection. Note: The first time you start the game, you'll get an EEPROM error. Keep F2 pressed and hit F3 to initialize it. To enter service mode, hit F2 while the game is in attract mode. Make sure to go in the game options and enable stereo sound.
* FB Alpha
Recommended Games (Western):
The Tin Star
Wild Gunman (PlayChoice-10)
Sunset Riders (bootleg of Megadrive version)
Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa
Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters
Rapid Fire (Western)
Romset: 4929 kb / 11 files / 2.09 zip
MAME XML Output:
|    ||<game name="ssridersuac" sourcefile="tmnt.c" cloneof="ssriders" romof="ssriders">|
|    ||    ||<description>Sunset Riders (4 Players ver UAC)</description>|
|    ||    ||<year>1991</year>|
|    ||    ||<manufacturer>Konami</manufacturer>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064uac02.8e" size="262144" crc="870473b6" sha1="2e2fd5c6df3fa8da6655699043e08a8f918ef63c" region="maincpu" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064uac03.8g" size="262144" crc="eadf289a" sha1="824230714ae0c1d065e83719bb344e76a5ca1fba" region="maincpu" offset="1"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064eab04.10e" merge="064eab04.10e" size="131072" crc="ef2315bd" sha1="2c8b11321cb5fdb78d760fabca666c0d8cc5b298" region="maincpu" offset="80000"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064eab05.10g" merge="064eab05.10g" size="131072" crc="51d6fbc4" sha1="e80de7d155b7f263c48ef4ae2702059be3c18e76" region="maincpu" offset="80001"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064e01.2f" merge="064e01.2f" size="65536" crc="44b9bc52" sha1="4654d6e14c6956c40a19cb41155accb63f0da338" region="audiocpu" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064e12.16k" merge="064e12.16k" size="524288" crc="e2bdc619" sha1="04449deb267b0beacfa33640b593eb16194aa0d9" region="gfx1" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064e11.12k" merge="064e11.12k" size="524288" crc="2d8ca8b0" sha1="7c882f79c2402cf75979c681071007d76e4db9ae" region="gfx1" offset="80000"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064e09.7l" merge="064e09.7l" size="1048576" crc="4160c372" sha1="0b36181e5ccd785c7fb89b9f41e458066a42c3b0" region="gfx2" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064e07.3l" merge="064e07.3l" size="1048576" crc="64dd673c" sha1="bea4d17a71dd21c635866ee69b4892dc9d0ab455" region="gfx2" offset="100000"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="064e06.1d" merge="064e06.1d" size="1048576" crc="59810df9" sha1="a0affc6330bdbfab1447dc0cf13c20ff708c2c71" region="k053260" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<rom name="ssriders_uac.nv" size="128" crc="26c8f1a0" sha1="56b933d61fb3a3da787db8e6714b53178f3c98db" region="eeprom" offset="0"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="maincpu" name="68000" clock="16000000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="cpu" tag="audiocpu" name="Z80" clock="4000000"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="lspeaker" name="Speaker"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="rspeaker" name="Speaker"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="ymsnd" name="YM2151" clock="3579545"/>|
|    ||    ||<chip type="audio" tag="k053260" name="K053260" clock="3579545"/>|
|    ||    ||<display tag="screen" type="raster" rotate="0" width="288" height="224" refresh="60.000000" />|
|    ||    ||<sound channels="2"/>|
|    ||    ||<input players="4" buttons="2" coins="4" service="yes">|
|    ||    ||    ||<control type="joy" ways="8"/>|
|    ||    ||</input>|
|    ||    ||<driver status="imperfect" emulation="good" color="good" sound="good" graphic="imperfect" savestate="supported" palettesize="2048"/>|